View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #10
Eric

An update:

I cannot yet answer my question, above.

I have read that the reason for preloading the center bearing is to prevent some sort of chattering or un-smoothness on takeoff from a stop, but I ran my center bearing un-preloaded for about 2,000 miles and noticed no problems.

Yesterday, I caught a good day and preloaded my center bearing. Here is my report on that process:

In answer to the burning question that I'm certain is in everyone's mind who is reading this:
Yes, you can move your center bearing without dropping the exhaust system.

Here's how:
  • Remove four fastening screws from each of the two exhaust heat shields.
  • Remove the bracket that holds the back of the front shield and the front of the back shield.
  • Carefully roll the rear shield out by pulling a bit forward and rolling around to the right side of the car.
    You will need to pull down on the exhaust system pretty hard for a second or two to get it to move down just a bit, to get some clearance.
  • Slide the front shield backward.
    It will move enough so that the center bearing is just uncovered.

After this, it is a simple task to loosen the center bearing nuts, confirm its neutral position, measure and mark 5mm (3/16") forward, move the bearing, and tighten it down.

Installation of the shields is the reverse of removal (bracket goes on after shields are both back in place).
Once everything is together, reach up to the top of the front of the front shield, and make sure it's not rubbing on the driveshaft, and pull it down a bit if it is.

Since making this change, I have noticed exactly NO change in how the car drives.

- Eric
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote