View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 07:07 AM   #38
anassa

Vehicles

Just Cause! :

At this point of having the compact I have thought a lot about if I should get rid of it. I have looked at e46 m3s, multiple e36 m3s, e34 540i 6spd, e39 m5 and some e30s. Basically I don't have to keep to the 318ti platform.

There is a lot I have to do to get the compact to basic happy status: Paint, interior, radio, A/C, suspension, smog, shifter, rear bushings, etc etc.

The question is why dump all this money into the 318ti when I could easily pick up any of those above mentioned cars and have a car that will keep its value a lot more and a few of those were very clean with a lot of maintenance, it would actually be cheaper to dump the 318ti.

Just today I was a hair away from buying a fern green (I think) 1997 m3 coupe, it was clean, everything worked, and had a good amount of preventive maintenance. Basically everything I still need to do to the 318ti was good on the m3 and I could drive a fun car again.

What keeps me to the 318ti?

1. - Hatch - I used to hate how it looks, but not one of the above mentioned cars have the same trunk space when the compact has the rear seats down. It is super practical for such a small car.

2. - Small - Getting parking spots!

3. - Widen - Only e36 that can use OEM parts to widen. (e46 front and z3 6 cylinder trailing arms)

4. - Mine is already swapped and I know this 318ti inside and out.

A LOT more: but that would take forever so for now lets just mention the above.

5. - Not the same - this honestly is what it came down to. If I picked up the m3 it would just be another m3, and most of them have a tried and true style/build of OEM+, but when I was looking back at this thread and the older one I realized I never used the typical OEM+ Euro styling cues as inspiration, the 318ti over time - without me even knowing - turned into a passion build. A canvass for creativity and learning.

Buying all those different springs, experimenting on different setups etc is not about always best bang for buck or the smart financial choice. Modding cars is dumb financially. This is not a head choice, it was a heart choice. And as much as I would walk out to any of the m3/m5 cars and smile, it wouldn't be the same smile I would have if I walked out to the 318ti that I had built from stock over 8+ years now, that would be completely unique.

So why keep the 318ti instead of going to a better platform? Just Cause!
I want to and I get to smile when I drive it, so screw the smart choice!

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

Last edited by anassa; 06-14-2019 at 07:12 AM.
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote