View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 06:06 AM   #27
anassa

Vehicles

Pictures

Beautiful day with sun shining and the car had been washed so pictures!

SMOG

On March 3rd I had my first appointment with the California Ref to get my m52 swap legal for my 318ti. An appointment had to be made and it took roughly two hours. At the end of appointment I payed $0, as it did not pass smog - if I it did I would of cost only $8.20!! Yes doing a ref test includes a regular smog test and is cheaper then a regular smog test! What I found out:

- Code P0111 Intake Air Temp Sensor Range Performance
- Vehicle has 2 Monitors Not Ready (Evaporative Sytsem & Secondary Air System)
- Air Intake Sensor Not in Air Cleaner No Place for it in the Air Cleaner.
- Vehicle must go to the dealership to verify that the vehicle has the correct ecu and programming for the engine.
- EVAP - Has Broken Wire to Purge Valve
- Check/Repair High HC Emissions

SMOG TEST:

HC (PPM)
.........MAX...MEAS
15mph: 55 - 77
25mph: 39 - 12

So the ref guy says its running lean? Anyone know why it would measure so high for HC?
**Seems like the car probably sat for a while and was cold start, as can be seen by the low 25mph HC reading, if it warmed up for a little longer I don't think it will be a problem.

This morning went to the BMW dealer to get the DME checked as correct for the engine (m52b28). That cost $175, at first I worried what they would say since my DME was a TRM DME that is their "swap tune" for s52 cams, m50 intake, so I thought they would notice there was something, but they didn't care about the EWS and the off the shelf tune didn't turn up, so I was given a green light by the dealership. Apparently now with getting a swap now you need a dealership to confirm the DME used. I never knew that.

Dealer found problems:

- Transmission Leaking From Shift Shaft Seal
- Exhaust Mounts Cracking
- Door Panels Coming Apart

So one box is checked! Now for the rest . . . one step at a time. I made the next appointment with the ref on April 14th so it gives me a deadline to get as much done as possible.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 6/17/2017

Did smog again, still need to fix some parts, still not legal yet!

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

Last edited by anassa; 06-17-2017 at 09:52 PM.
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote