View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
anassa

Vehicles

man you guys are busting my balls here ...

@ pdxmotorhead - what your talking about is a whole different level of knowledge and understanding of suspension. I am trying to keep it simple, with a possible mod for those who want to! I am not implying that I am revising the suspension in a way that is better then what BMW head built in the first place, as it is most people will never have the driving skill to max out the suspension geometry of what it already has.
Besides I think your still trying to answer the "why" question when I am trying to find out "how" - in the simplest way possible.
I am trying to keep it at a level for any guy on the street to be able to do, and most people can replace parts, but welding is a completely different level.

@cooljess76 thanks for the link - I have seen it before and it does look interesting, he does seem to do a extraordinary job. If I was actually serious with measuring out exact lengths and have specifics for the suspension geometry that I was shooting for in a track car or something then it seems more plausible to do something like this.

For simplicity sake lets just say my goal is: "coolness". Wouldn't it be "cool" if there was a mod that would lower your unsprung weight, get a increase in lock, give you some more track width and a acceptable amount of camber, for a good look and seemingly a bit of a upgrade to the suspension, depending on use? So lets say that I find out that the combination of e46 LCA with offset upper shock tower mount, and with __________ it can result in the aboved mentioned things. Would that not be worth knowing as a option for those interested? I think it would be "cool" to know what can be mixed and matched to work. I don't care how you use it, thats up to the reader, I just want to know will it work, and then how?

Example is like our brakes, I believe (would need to double check) that the e34 rear caliper will bolt right in and give you more brake power in the rear that may help offset brake bias for those who have upgraded to front vents. <- that is cool to know! I don't need a few hundred page book on how brakes work to be able to want/use this mod - sure BMW probably spent millions on developing the brakes for the e36 and 318ti, so?? The E34 mod seems simple and effective and it came through people who have a certain application in mind and just try using different parts because they think it may work and then trying it to fit what they want.

SOOO: keep it simple in the way of doing things most people have access to. Including me lol, I'm not going to be able to weld something like that, .

Maybe it will help in addressing what I know so far. Heres is a few threads of those who have done it, purpose, how, and outcome:
http://www.driftworks.com/forum/tech...ry-photos.html
http://www.trampdrift.com/Forum/TD/showthread.php?

Those are nice to know and good, but I'm trying to make it more of a street application. It is nice to find out that I can get a few degrees back with the offset shock tower mount.

After all this I'm going back to the original question (other then extensive welding) what are some other ways to gain back some of that camber?

(phew sorry that was long winded)

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote