View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #44
Mopho

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos View Post
I was going to do this today but I forgot to order the 15 rubber seals for the bolts!!!! I was so ready for this!!! Should I do it anyway?
The seals on the valve cover bolts could be replaced later.. be sure to not overtighten the bolts them or they WILL strip out the aluminum head threads, With difficulty in reaching the rear bolts, I would run to the parts store and buy them. They make the other gaskets seat tighter.
If you have the valve cover off, and you have over 100,000 miles on your car, you REALLY should replace the Y fitting on the back of the block.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...8&goto=newpost
Read back through the posts, and see how important it is for your reliability.
Watch your temperature until you have replaced all hoses, water pump, and BOTH plastic fittings listed on this post. I didn't and now, after spending $2,500 on a warped head and valve job (my green ti had 146K on it), so I had a complete valve job done while it was apart and the idiot that did the work did a good job, but did not change the side fitting, which I know will go out soon since the rear head Y fitting failed while driving the car when it overheated. When I took the Y fitting off, it fell to pieces leaving part of in in the head. And even after changing it (a bitch with the valve cover and intake manifold on) the head gasket was gone...
Needless to say, I wish I had listened to the guys on the other post.
P.S. Make sure when you put the valve cover back on the head that the rear of the gasket is in place. When I bought my white ti, they had just changed the valve cover gasket, and the round bump was out of place on the very back and it was pumping oil out. What a mess. Bought it cheap because the idiot did not know why it was leaking oil.......

Last edited by Mopho; 06-20-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Mopho is offline   Reply With Quote