View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles
Default Submitted by cooljess76

1. What type of transmission? (auto/manual, Getrag, ZF, etc.)
Manual ZF

2. Drive shaft came from what year & model car?
'98 M3 manual front section, '97 318ti manual rear section

3. Diff. ratio
3.46LSD

4. Diff. case size
Medium

5. Diff. was taken from what year & model car?
E24 (year unknown)

6. What type of diff. cover?
E30

7. Diff. cover was taken from what year & model car?
'89 325i

8. Output flanges were from what year & model car?
'89 325i

9. Half-shafts were taken from what year & model car?
'89 325i

10. What modifications did you have to do?
Shimmed ABS sensors 2.25mm

11. Have you had any issues with this combination?
Car hasn't been driven since the install

Misc. Notes:
'97 318ti sport w/S52 swap. Halfshafts rebuilt with new inner/outer CV boots, dust caps, snap rings, boot clamps, grease, flange bolts, green loctite(spline), blue loctite(bolts), hub nuts and hub nut retaining rings. Differential filled with Mobil1 75w-90LS(limited slip additive). Replaced differential cover paper gasket. ABS shims were made from a modified 5/8" opening flat washer. Also used an E30 speed sensor.

Install went smoothly. Differential fit with plenty of room to spare, no modifying chassis to clear differential cover bolts was necessary. E30 325i w/ABS halfshafts fit perfectly, no forcing halfshafts onto flanges was necessary.

**Earlier year 318ti's will require chassis modification to clear the top differential cover bolts. This is usually done with a hammer. However, one member actually drilled the top two bolt holes on the cover to facilitate countersunk allen head bolts.

***Note, to prevent damage to your ABS sensors, be sure to loosen/remove sensors prior to inserting the halfshaft spline through the hub. Once the halfshafts are installed/torqued, then you can make/install the ABS shims.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."