View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 01:58 AM   #98
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDanHef View Post
That's interesting .... the equations and figuring brake bias is pretty befuddling to me so I won't pretend to understand it ... but I know it can be a factor and will decrease braking performance if not considered.

One thing you didn't mention, distance from center of the hub to the caliper is a factor in stopping power. The larger diameter is not just about heat dissipation, it's also about leverage. That's also why larger diameter rotors stop better.
I don't understand it either lol,

As for the distance of hub to caliper, I haven't thought of that. Good observation! But if the caliper is further away as with larger rotors, how does that help the clamping force or the leverage for braking better? I can see that if it is farther away the rotor patch that get the initial bite also has further to travel to make a full rotation - but that just gives it longer to cool down before the patch is under the caliper again ???

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote