View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

hmmmm ... that pic looks familiar! the bad part is that the bottom right near where you want to place the foam has expanding rivets (bottom edge if you look at the end of the hatch when it's raised). those don't like to come out easily and will most likely break (pretty much a one time use item) so be prepared to put something else back in to replace them or get some replacements before you start. i also broke some of the other plastic clips that hold that trip piece on when i yanked it off (even getting my hands as close to either side of the clip i was working on). over time, they get somewhat brittle. how soon are you going to do this? i'm waiting for a couple parts orders and can provide you with part numbers when they come in. not sure the ETK is super clear on which clips are used in what areas. i could take some pics in the next couple days too if you want to see some of any particular area. just let me know and provide me your email address (private message or here if you don't care that people know it).

if you do take that whole trim piece off, i suggest getting into the interior of the hatch down near the trailing edge (couple drain holes down there almost directly under the license plate) and cleaning and WAXING so you hopefully won't get rust developing there like i have. might as well do it while you're in there
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote