View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast27
I am in the fire service and we have Kevlar bags that go over the wheel and strap to the column to protect us and the driver from post accident air bad deployment while doing extraction.with new cars and air bags coming from all different parts of the car we are trained to be well aware of the danger to us and the person we are trying to get out of the car. serious stuff.

that would be a bummer to get smacked in the head with the bag trying to change a light bulb.
I have read all the safety precautions you are supposed to observe when working in and around BMW airbags and was shocked to see how few of them the mechanics at my dealership actually follow. I am sure they have dealt with thousands of airbags over the years and have never had a problem.

Perhaps the most important precaution a DIYer should respect is to disconnect the battery before starting work so as to not set the SRS light. That is something none of the mechanics at my dealership bother to do in order to save a little time. Instead, they hook the car to the DIS tester after they are done and clear all the SRS faults they introduced by working on the system while it was under power. That still makes me a little nervous.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote