View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
turbodude

Vehicles
Default The Job Is Done

I've got my heat back, though things didn't go as planned (but in a good way). I got everything torn down and realized that my replacement motor didn't fit the ti so it will be going back. I tested the motor and realized it still worked. I think my lube job a few weeks back got onto the electrical parts of the motor, caused the fuse to blow and fried the resistor. I cleaned out the innards of the motor with electrical cleaner and hooked it back up to the battery to test. Success--no more burning or running funny. Reinstalled everything and I have heat again!

A few comments regarding the original post instructions:
1) It's not necessary to take the top cover off the wiring harness.
2) Removing the battery box made all the difference in the world in gaining access to the heater motor cover. Everything can be removed via the space created on the passenger side. Break everything down and remove one piece at a time (filters, filter frames, blower cover clips, blower cover, blower). The upper torx screws are the hardest to get at. I ended up using a flex extension for my ratcheting screw driver.
3) There is only ONE squirel cage on the ti blower motor. The last pic is from another e36. I missed this the first time around and led to my buying the wrong motor.
turbodude is offline   Reply With Quote