View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean H.318TI View Post
so my friend, she just wreck her 96 328i with 140xxx miles and is pretty much all ****ed up on the back so i was thinking is it worth doing this swap at all? i mean for the money i would spend doing this swap i can finish my turbo build and have more power and lighter weight but i know that if i turbo the m52b28 engine then i can get way way more power but it means i have to do the swap first and then turbo so that would obviouly take more time and money to finish but i know down the road i can have more power with the 6 cylinders, so honestly what do u guys think would be better, finish my turbo m44 or do the m52 swap and roll with that stock for a while (~2 years), until i have the money to go turbo m52

m44 on my car ~ 140whp
m44 turbo ~280whp
m52 stock ~190whp

m52 turbo ~350whp
I would go with the M52, with some minor mods you will be over 230 hp... reliable hp. Not to mention the fact that you will have a whole doner car to complete the swap.

What is the weight savings of an M44 with a turbo over an M52 without a turbo? The turbo, exhaust manifold, intercooler and piping are not exactly light.

I think you might be off on your hp numbers... stock M52s do not put 190 to the wheels, and stock M44's don't do 140 to the wheels. A US spec E36 M3 will make around 200-205 hp to the wheels depending on the dyno. It looks like you are quoting flywheel hp numbers.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote