View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #776
bimmerfun

Wow...You guys are doing some exciting stuff! I've been doing less ambitious stuff, but I'm planning engine mods. in the spring... So far my favorite improvement has been, oddly, the new windshield. Actually, maybe I should have started another thread, because was a surprise...

I took my 1998 318ti Sport to get instpected after only having owned it for 2 weeks. I said to myself..."you know this thing is going to need SOMETHING"...After all, I bought it out of town, so I couldn't have my mechanic look at it. I've done this before, but you have to expect that it very well might need SOMETHING when you buy a car that way...

Granted, I replaced the windshield (which wasn't cracked, but was not clear at all), 2 tires, yada, yada...but I did nothing to the brakes or anything else... Well, I was thrilled to find that the car passes inspection with flying colors, and my mechanics (the shop I go to is 2nd generation, the "founders" are the fathers of both of the owners...all 100% German, by the way). My mechanic is also very picky.

So, the great news is, it needed NOTHING!!! This is the first time I've EVER bought a used car that didn't need SOMETHING when I brought it to a mechanic.

I'm the 3rd owner of this super clean 318ti. It was purchased by the second owner (it was a trade in to Princeton BMW, where it was originally purchased)...as a BMW Certified vehicle about 28K miles ago. She owned it for about 5 years. The second owner also kept up the service, and the car was garage kept since new. STILL...I was getting ready for AT LEAST a $500-700 bill when I brought it to be inspected...Brakes, rotors...SOMETHING had to need to be replaced... Instead, I only spent $90...and that included $10 for installing my K&N air filter!!!

Get this...I even have several thousand miles left before it needs an oil change (sytnthetic)!

Maybe I shouldn't have said all this...Watch it NOT start or fall apart this morning!!!
I don't think so, though...

Last edited by bimmerfun; 10-29-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typos!