View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #20
CirrusSR22

I've had my Da'Lan hitch (now Curt?) for a few years and I've always been unhappy with the fit between the receiver and the ball mount. There's a ton of slop, which equates to clunking, plus it magnifies the stress on everything. I tried different shims, which help a little, but they could not eliminate all the slop.

To fix this, I bought a 1/2"-20 bolt, nut and a pair of washers to replace the 1/2" ball mount pin. All good grade 8 stuff. The difference is night and day! It squeezes the receiver tube just enough to tighten the internal clearance. You need to really torque down the bolt enough to get everything tight, but it works. I used a 18", 1/2" drive rachet and combo wrench; no power tools. I tried this a year or so ago with just a pair of combo wrenches but couldn't torque it enough so I gave up, figuring that steel was too thick work as planned. The 18" racheted has just enough leverage to get it done. Should have done this years ago. I leave my ball mount on constantly, so I dont' care about it being a hassle to get off.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote