View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
Virgil

Default Engine Swap vs. Turbo or Both?

I have been looking at an engine swap for a 3.2l Euro-spec M3 motor and its looking to cost me about 6k for the motor alone, that or the 3.0l euro m3 motor, I have decided. Well, I was looking at the AA Turbo kit for the US-spec M3 and its got me thinking. For the most part, US M3 motors are a dime a dozen by comparison to its euro counterpart and the turbo kit costs about 7995.00. Pricey yes, but if I simply snag a tired motor out of a 1995 m3 and have it rebuilt (or do it myself) with some stronger parts and fit the kit on I would be in like flint and most likely have more power then the euro motor in the end.

This brings me to another question; does 400 hp belong on a 318ti? Obviously there would need be some serious rear end work, even for the euro motor some rear end and driveshafts would need be tossed in to the equation, not to mention suspension, roll cage, and wheels and tires. Is my logic flawed? I haven't done either swap or turbo kit but I do know both are expensive as hell to even think about let alone do. If I can't do it myself well, its going to be shop time and turbo cars, especially m3 turbo's tend to mean big bills.

Any suggestions?
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote