View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
Artem

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318tom View Post
In theory, yes, but I wouldn't have the first idea of how to remove and safely shop the roof to you. I do know the roofs cost a small fortune to replace! More than the value of the car.

If you have an idea of how this could work, I'm open to discussing the options.
Hey Tom,

I replaced a lot of components in my roof (pretty much everything but the motor) and have a reason to believe that it might work as-is with just a good motor, so I will be willing to just buy the motor from you (to remove that it requires a removal of two phillips screws. If I had a good motor to go by, I may be able to make gears or design one that is easy to install inside the motor assembly for all to use later, as I have access to a machine shop and fairly neat materials like A286 steel superalloy for instance. (or if anyone else can give me their motor so I can make a gear for mine... thats all I really need - just a motor)

As far as your car is concerned, if you really like it and want to keep it, then a headgasket on a 4-cyl engine shouldn't run you much more than $1,000, and these motors are really robust and one shouldnt worry about its longevity with good maintenance.

I myself will be doing the same thing to my car shortly (head refresh + gasket), along with timing components to refresh the motor, before putting a DASC kit in it.

I love this little thing, and driving it side-by-side with an M3 and a newer E46, its a lot more fun as it is lighter and one can really throw it around. Its a very simple little car, so its fairly easy to work on as well. It does lack the acceleration, stopping power and handling characteristics of the M3 however, but that is mostly due to a larger steering wheel, smaller brakes, and smaller wheels with slightly softer suspension.

Cheers
Artem is offline   Reply With Quote