View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Wraythe

Default '95 M42 Erratic Starting Issues

I've been experiencing an issue on my 1995 318ti (M42 1.8 liter) that has me baffled - it sometimes won't start. It seems to occur randomly, as I can't identify any factors that are constant when it gives me trouble. I end up needing to rev the engine over and over for 10 - 15 seconds before I can get it idling, and sometimes even that doesn't work. The frustrating part is that I'll come back to it later that day or the next day and it'll start with no issues, although the idle sometimes dips pretty low after it starts. Beside some erratic spikes in idling RPM's when I roll up to stop lights, I haven't experienced any other engine trouble.

I recently replaced the spark plugs hoping that they were the cause of the issue but that didn't seem to fix anything. I've also recently replaced the air filter. The engine has 147k miles on it and it performs well when I'm not experiencing these issues. My gas mileage appears to be normal as well. I've scoured through these forums for a solution but I can't find anybody whose issues are similar to mine.

What are your thoughts?
Wraythe is offline   Reply With Quote