View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #24
bond007

I followed the write-up and two weeks later...pop goes the window. Not cool as I have to have a functional window for ingress/egress from my parking deck and I need this to be solved for once and for all (or else). I am well versed on working on all aspects of vehicles (rebuilding engines, fabricate my own performance parts, etc), so unless I missed something very simple about the procedure, it appears as it if needs an addendum that at some point you must replace some parts and some conditions for when that needs to happen.

At what point have others called the regulator "done" and it needs replacement? There is a visible "bend" even when straightened out and I believe that once they reach this point, it is a structural weakness and it is where it will continue to bend time after time.

Initially, the fix worked fine and as instructed, I slammed the ever-living *expletive removed* out of the door (to the point I was cringing, as in I would NEVER, EVER, close a door in that manner on a car) to test it and thought that I was done but I guess not...

Question:
Has anyone replaced ALL of the parts (regulator and tracks) and had this work properly for a decent service interval? There appears to be a part number for the window tracks and I swear I saw there was a bolt for one of them but it has been a while since I stared in there intently (I just forced it back to upright for now). Also, has anyone consulted the official manual (not the Bentley - it's better than a Haynes manual but it is not a real service manual) from BMW on this subject for install/adjustment procedures?

I am considering welding some additional support structure (if there is room for it) to the arms on the new regulator to prevent them from bending. Has anyone else considered this?
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote