View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Strawman

Turns out the problem was a wiring mistake I made on Pin 8 of X069... ran the chassis wiring to Start/Run 12v+, which popped the 5Amp fuse. Rewired and everything is good (so far).

Had a chance to build a battery mount solution, as shown in the pictures below. The result works great, but it is sometimes amazing how $8 of metal, some old bolts, a MIG welder and various cutting/grinding tools can sap up 6 hours. As you can see from the first pic, I welded stand-off mounts to the chassis; the inner mounts (toward the center of the car) obviously had to be taller due to the recessed portion between the frame rails. I used nuts to adjust the height and therefore the level of the battery frame. I painted it using the leftover rattle-can paint I had mixed for the engine bay.

I ended up mounting a battery designed for a Miata, and the dimensions are 7.5"x5.0"x7.3". Since it is AGM (absorbed glass matt), it is fully sealed, won't need venting, and can be mounted any which way. I ended up laying it on its side tucked up against the back of the rear seat. I bought it from O-Reilly's for $130 after exchange of the old 318ti battery.

I took it for a spirited drive now that I've got a securely mounted battery, and quickly discovered the car is now "traction-limited." I need stickier tires!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Chassis battery mounts.JPG Views:	681 Size:	197.2 KB ID:	14263   Click image for larger version Name:	Battery frame on chassis mounts.JPG Views:	650 Size:	201.3 KB ID:	14264   Click image for larger version Name:	Battery mounted.JPG Views:	681 Size:	171.1 KB ID:	14265  

Strawman is offline   Reply With Quote