View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Strawman

Default It Runs!

IT RUNS!!!!

I finally gave up on trying to get the car running myself, as I couldn't get the starter to turn over. So I had it towed to Jake at German Auto here in San Luis Obispo. The EWS as I set it up was fine; however, the DME was looking for a neutral signal from the EGS (the engine and DME are from an automatic chassis). Jake ended up using the VIN out of his own 1997 328i (a 5-speed manual car) to correctly code out the automatic transmission. He's now working on coding out the ASC-T (traction control), and also figuring out a couple hard codes (O2 sensors, intake air temp sensor, etc.) but will have it ready for me by day's end. Total cost is still forthcoming, but it looks like he'll keep it under six hours (~$620). I'll then take it to American Custom Muffler here in SLO for a dual-in, dual-out cat-back muffler system.

It also turns out I didn't clip one of the injectors in correctly, so it sprayed fuel when he first fired it up. The car sounds great with open pipes, and he said his brief test-drive showed the trans/clutch/driveshaft (Pick-n-Pull specials!!!) seem to work well. I did install a new Guibo, but the driveshaft out of a 1997 328ic convertible fits like a glove between the ZF trans and E28 LSD differential.

I gotta give J!m props for his manual -- it helped me immensely, even though I've been frankensteining cars for a couple decades (WRX engine/trans in a Porsche 914, Subaru Legacy engine into VW Vanagon, Geo Tracker engine into Suzuki Samurai rockcrawler, etc.). I chose a slightly more onerous route by using the DME from an auto car, but it looks like I've made it over the big hurdles. Below is a pic of car (in its dented fender/door glory!) on the tow-truck. More to come!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	DSC03355.JPG Views:	649 Size:	206.5 KB ID:	14223  
Strawman is offline   Reply With Quote