View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
ti3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
The difference in geometry comes from offset control arm bushings and strut bearings. The spindle has nothing to do with it. The reason you need bigger wheels is to clear the calipers since they sit further away from the hub due to the rotors being larger in diameter. Your 17x9" wheels probably rub on the coil for two reasons. 1, they're much wider than a stock wheel and 2, you probably need a lower offset(which may require you to roll your fenders).
I know the caliper is bigger, hence one of the reasons I got the bigger rims, to clear it. I also wanted to get a bit more traction with the m3 motor, the stock size steelies aren't doing it for me, thouhg I guess 17X9 is a little big... oh well I expected to have to roll the fender.

So what you are saying is there is no offset difference between a '95 e36 m3 and a '95 e36 318ti, despite it being a different spindle and rotor, from the chart going from a 286 x 12mm solid to a 315 x 28mm vented? the wheelbase for the two cars is identical? except I know the stock Wheel offsets which are 38 and 41 respecitvely if I remember correctly?

I know you may not know what BMW was thinking when they did it but... do they have different wheel offsets just to allow the m3 a wider stance and accomodate a larger wheel, but not have anything to do with where the hub actually is... like if I measured hub to hub in the front of an M3 and a 318ti it would be exactly the same distance (neglecting individual car to car differences because of manufacturing tolerances and worn parts)

The next question I have is...(and I apologize it prob doesn't belong in the brake thread, but it is related) must I have the m3 control arms to fit the spindle and also the offset control arm bushings? or can I just bolt on with the 318ti control arm centered bushing, because I don't want the extra camber right now from the m3 because lowering the car already changes the camber angle ...

I really have been trying to do my research but haven't come up with a difinitive answer yet. I will probbaly just order the TMS hub extender and 7.5mm spacer and call it a day... but I will still need to know about the control arms.
The help is greatly appreciated.
ti3 is offline   Reply With Quote