View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 02:59 PM   #9
racepad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedzE36/5
ahhhh i think a lot of us dream about the euro 3.0. thing that keeps me grounded is the thought that if i brake something, i would have to find replacement parts outside the US. anyhow though have a question about transplanting the motors. what all needs to be changed with the swap besides front suspension. can the stock tranny be used? do new motor mounts need to be placed? change the diff?
I wanted to respond to the parts availability question. When I transplanted a euro 3.0l into my trace car I had little trouble finding parts. Most of the better/larger dealers can order these parts for you. Are they more expensive? That is hard to say because what are you comparing them to. The water pump on a euro motor is more expensive than a US 6 cylinder one but then again it is a very different design (it is much sturdier and of much better quality). If you are a BMW CCA member you often can get a discount on the parts if you are installing them yourself. I have had my 3.0 euro motor for a few years and pushed it hard and I have yet to perform any engine part replacements since I put it in the car. These motors are very sturdy. For street and even track driving it should need little more than regular oil changes.