View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #19
Mopho

Well, finally got tired of the mess in the driveway, had the parts sitting on my retired toolbox (I stay away from it as much as possible since I retired from body shop) and I changed the o-rings and gasket. It took me about 8 hours...but I cleaned everything, polished the housing, alternator, super cleaned belts, pulleys, etc.
Typical bodyman, I am into detail. I also ran a tap in all threads and blew them out (I mean, I got these tap and die sets just gathering dust, what can I say...) and polished all the nuts and bolt threads on my bench wire wheel ...
Things sure torque better when all the threads are the same and CLEAN.

Seems to have fixed the problem. NO more leak at the housing. And man, were those o-rings hard and flat. They broke trying to take them off the bush (I used the old bush, new o-rings and gasket sealer ont the gasket). I also put the oil filter housing on a flat piece of glass with some fine sandpaper, and made sure it was flat and clean). Soo, that's why I took 8 hours....+ to get-er done.

One thing to mention. Make sure you have a mental or phyisical picture of how the serpintine belt goes...LOL!
Thanks for the info everyone.

Helped to be able to see what someone else had to do instead of relying on the Bentley manual...