View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #63
projekt EPiK

I have some issues in my 95 with m42 also. When I got the car..geez almost 5yrs ago, from a member on here at the time, he told me that when first starting the car you need to let it idle for 30 seconds to 1minute before driving, otherwise it will bog down badly. This was true, and still is. He tried a new O2 sensor..etc..never changed anything.
The car had a magnaflow cat when I got it, which has since plugged up as well, and is now a straight thru resonator instead. Since it is straight thru now, I realize how pig rich it is now on start up. Most likely the reason that the cats keep clogging up, I would like to solve the problem before i reinstall another cat and waste it. I do want to put the cat back in the exhaust, because I do notice a loss of low end torque, and it is raspy.
Wondering if the startup rich condition may be the coolant temp sensor on the head, Since in most cars the ecu or dme in this case takes the values from there at startup.
MPG is steadily declining, under 25 now mixed city and hwy. Im not easy on the gas though, and it is redlined in 2nd and 3rd regularly.
car does run well after that first warm-up minute, but if I try to drive before that it wil bog badly and the idle will hunt for about 30 seconds and then stabilize and I can drive.

Replaced... head gasket, water pump, radiator, coolant pipe on block, all vacuum hoses including spider to injectors, fuel filter, O2 sensor, dme, spark plugs and wires, and no cat. Never replaced the coolant temp sensor or the pcv.
projekt EPiK is offline   Reply With Quote