View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
hotmilk400

Default pulsing brakes and steering wheel shake + pull

i read a few forums on here, and saw a few possibilities, but before i went ahead and started replacing everything, i wanted to ask to see if i can save a few $$'s since i am stumped.

my personal car has some shaking/shimming in the steering wheel, and now the pedal + the steering wheel Pulse.

for the last, oh, i do not know... 2 years the car had minor shaking in the wheel at speeds over 50mph.. no problem with braking. i ignored it since my mechanic told me to.. haha.

then about 6 months ago, the car started to pull to the left or right while i was braking. (not often) most of the time it depended on the road i was on. figured it was maybe ICE or the road was wet and figured it was no problem. when i say it pulled to the left or right while braking, it would somewhat shake while coming to a stop, then the wheel would SHARPLY turn to the left OR right (totally random) if i did not hold the wheel, i would literately go into the car next to me. it was bad, but i ignored it.

then i left the car sit for 3 months (left the country) and when i came back, the brake pedal + steering wheel would pulse while braking. (hell, the entire car would pulse, my friends refused to use my car to do anything in) i assumed it was just rust or build up on the brakes. i could FEEL where it was pulsing and could predict the next pulse. this told me it was probably a build up of junk on the rotors somewhere due to sitting so long.

Now, after about 1 1/2 - 2 months, the car still has the same amount os pulsing in the brakes as before. . the shaking does not bother me to much, but the intense pulsing scares me. it does not seem to do it at all speeds and depends on the speed / force of braking. if i am at high speeds and barely touch the pedal, i might feel it, but at low speeds i have to push harder to feel the pulsing, sometimes at low speeds i never feel it if it is like 25mph or less when i start to brake. if i start to brake at like 50 then i will feel it until i come to a stop. it is strange.

now for the shaking and pulling. the car does NOT pull to the left or right anymore. i assume it still could have been the road or maybe the tire was low or something. not sure. but the car shakes like crazy while braking and the car still shakes at high speeds.

i had the control arms + 1 tie rod replaced about 1 year ago when i got my clutch installed. it did not change any of the shaking even after all the new parts. the mechanic says he is not sure and to ignore it if it does not become dangerous.
to top it off, i re-did the suspension about 8 months ago, and nothing changed.

any possible things to start replacing without going crazy? do you think the rotors are warped since the pulsing did not go away? rotors might be old since i installed in racing pads about 50k miles ago and re-used old rotors since they looked new (might have been close to new), but i do not think it is a wrapped rotor since it only started to pulse AFTER the car sat 3 months. should i sand the rotors to see if that helps first? i already sprayed with a cleaner with no luck.

for the shaking, should i replace the bushings in the control arms again? could it be related to the rear? how would i check? i got an alinement down after all the installs of new control-arms/tie-rods and the car still shakes. mechanic has not looked into detail but was not sure since he knows what i had replaced in the past.

anyone had similar shaking after replacing most of this stuff? anything i am missing? the shaking i can live with but the shaking on top of the pulsing + shaking means INTENSE SHAKING while braking. i mean, the entire car freaking shakes and pluses when you are braking.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote