View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
MacUser

Yeah! Yeah! I know! This thread had been sleeping S-O-O-O-O peacefully ... until I came around and screwed everything up!

1996 318ti manual trasmission.

Anyway, in an effort to keep similar information together and avoid ANOTHER thread called "Please help. Transmission control module Light on", here's MY problem:

I did a gauge cluster swap today. Now the light to the right of the "CHECK ENGINE" light is on. When the car was running it stayed illuminated. Since I had never seen that light before, I thought it was a funky "CHECK ENGINE" light. I pulled out my OBD-II scanner to read the code ... all clear. Huh? Then I noticed with the key on/engine off, there was also a "CHECK ENGINE" light illuminated (as there should have been). Consulting my handy-dandy owner's manual, I believe this is the "TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE" illuminated. The references in the owner's manual seem to only talk about automatic transmissions, so I'm hoping this is just an automatic gauge cluster vs. manual transmission drivetrain issue and I can just remove that bulb, but I don't know!

On a related happy note, my SRS light is now illuminated. I know what you're thinking, but I did follow the procedure outlined in Pelican Parts "101 Projects" book, namely I disconnected the battery. Oh well, I knew there was that risk and I prepared myself to buy a $200 reset tool before embarking on the transplant. Luckily, it's only $135.

Does the SRS warning follow the gauge cluster or the car? In other words, if I put the old cluster in, will the SRS still be illuminated?

Look for my <sarcasm>exciting</sarcasm> gauge cluster swap blog posting soon! More exciting (though relatively minor) problems!

Last edited by MacUser; 01-03-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: 318ti, not 315ti ... Big fingers, small iPhone.
MacUser is offline   Reply With Quote