Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
ANDRO FIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.2TI View Post
BEAUTIFUL.... I love it....
Thanks man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochey6957 View Post
At first i saw "cali roof delete" and was really scared and sad. Now im very happy! looks awsome! could you have counter sunk the holes so the screws sat absolutely flush?

P.S. You should snap some pics of the screws to show how much they are protruding.
Lol I'm glad you like it! I looked into a few different possibilities as to how I should mount the bolts. In the end I would up using black aluminum flat top cone shaped screws. I took a cone sander attachment and used the Dremel tool in order to give the holes a sunken cone shape so that the bolts would sit as flush as possible. So as of the moment, they're pretty much as flush as they can get without being sunken inside the glass.

I'll also get some pics up when I get a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Based on doing quite a few Acrylic Race car windshields,,, You need to make sure the window can expand and contract with temps, that usually means surface screws not counter sunk, the holes need to be about .025 bigger than the bolt. It also takes a lot of screws to resist the air sucking the window out or in without cracking it at the edge,, looks cool ! You might consider a aluminum stay across the underside with some foam tape to support the acrylic and stop it from bouncing.

Dave
Thanks man! The glass I chose is a "high poly Acrylic" according to the glass guy. From what I was told this stuff should hold up through tornado type winds without cracking. I did make sure the holes were drilled slightly larger than the bolts, and then filled them with the window sealant to avoid any leaking but it will still allow for enough wiggle room to avoid cracking around the holes. I originally planned to use a cross brace, though I'm now considering tossing the idea all together since the window doesn't seem to flex at all under the wind pressure. I'm not sure how thick acrylic race windows normally are, But the glass I used is about 2x thicker than my windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Freak View Post
that looks really cool, tinting it will definitely be a good idea
Thanks man, I'll be sure to post some shots up once the tint goes on!
ANDRO FIVER is offline   Reply With Quote