View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Steve K-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBum View Post
The Z3 based M Coupes and M Roadsters all came with 188mm LSDs. The axles on the Z3 based M cars is thicker than the stock ti and E30 325 axle.

At the bearing, the Z3 M trailing arm is reinforced. You are also correct that the M Z3 axles are offset further in so you will need to add at least 20mm to the spacer you're already using to maintain current wheel position.

That said, I don't think ti arms, E30 axles and a 188mm diff would have any trouble handling 400whp. You can take the arms off and have them reinforced to mimic the reinforcements on the M Z3 arms if you wanted to.

I'm not a fan of the finned diff covers on track cars. They hang too low for my comfort. A real diff cooler is a much better option.
Thanks for the reply's people.
I agree on the diff cover, I need all the space underneath I can get.

So the Z3M arms are a skinnier track width? I thought they were 20mm wider... If its 20mm skinnier that the standard 318ti this Z3M option wont work. I already run 20mm spacers and cant legally go any thicker than that and I wouldn't really want to either!

How are they stronger at the bearing end? I see the extra bar welded between the two trailing arms. Not saying BMW dont know what there doing but I don't really see the point in adding a bar there? I would think the weak point would be between the shock mount (esp as I've put coil overs in), wheel bearing and where the wheel bearing joins and where the two arms join to one.

Thanks interesting that the Z3M used a 188mm diff, it makes me feel the diff I have may be OK. Will be interesting when it comes apart for an inspection early 2016. Maybe all I need is bigger axles as I've already broken one. Will try and get a photo of it so you can see where it broke.

Thank you guys!

Steve
Steve K-B is offline   Reply With Quote