View Single Post
Old 12-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
Steve K-B

Default 318ti with S54 diff axle problems

Hi people,

Im looking for an upgrade to my axles and possibly rear arms etc. I'm currently running an S54 in my 318ti making 280 rwhp (what torque I have.... I'm not sure). there is more power to come out of out of it and I'm also looking at a supercharger system for the future so want a set up that can handle up to 400 rwhp.

I have two question areas, if you have any of the answers I would love to hear from you.

1: I currently have a medium case 6 bolt 3.91 diff and E30 325i axles (same as E30 M3). What power/torque can these handle before they give problems? Is the 8 bolt 210mm diff an over kill? Has any one put one of these in a ti? What diff did the E36 Z3M use?

2: Since my engine upgrade from 180 to 280 rwhp I have not surprisingly broken the stub shaft off the outer CV. I see there are lots of options of using custom axles like here:
https://www.pureperformancemotorspor...ft-axle-s.html

The only problem i see is the area where it broke wont have changed.

I know little of the Z3M upgrade, Does this give you you a larger axle? I believe the off set in the arm is larger. I use a 20mm spacer on the rear so this shouldn't be a problem other than it being very expensive option.

The car is only raced on tarmac roads and I can be pretty rough on my drive line. I'm looking for something strong and reliable.

Thank you in advance

Steve
Steve K-B is offline   Reply With Quote