View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

IIRC, the ICV can be cleaned. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that you should be able to blow into it and make it open/close. I could be mistaken though, it's been a long time. You could try spraying some brake cleaner in it to de-gunk-ify it, maybe check the wires and connector while you're at it.

As for the CCV, well I wouldn't just start throwing parts at it just yet. I've seen the vent hole on the valve cover get so gunked up that airflow was almost completely blocked. You can disconnect the hose and look inside the hole with a mirror and flashlight. I wouldn't try to break any of the gunk off while the valve cover is installed though, all of the gunk will fall into the head. I usually recommend that people clean this hole when they're replacing a valve cover gasket.

If you think the CCV valve is hissing, try putting your finger underneath it over the slit. If you hear the hissing change in tone, then you know it's clogged.

When you're spraying brake cleaner on and around the boot, try to spray underneathe it as well. Sometimes the cracks are at the bottom. Hose down the adjacent hoses as well. Any air leak aft of the AFM will cause a misfire or a strange idle. Also when you're spraying the brake cleaner, be sure to listen carefuly for idle fluctuations. If you hear it rev, go back and spray that area again.

Last edited by cooljess76; 04-05-2010 at 07:18 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote