View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
1986_dan

Hi Everyone I'm Dan and new here.

Recently my 318ti has been getting some really APPAULING MPG figures. In the past I was getting around 32-34 with mixed town and motorway driving, but now she is really struggling to make the 20's. Here are someof the symptoms I have;

When I first start her in the morning (or after a long time) she sounds like she is really struggling to start with little noise from the starter. When she does start she is quite lumpy on idle and the car shakes for the first couple of minutes until she settles down. (The exhaust is also making a "pop, pop, pop" noise at this time too).

In addition to all of this once she has warmed up and say Im sat in traffic a ticking noise appears from near the intake manifold. However, if you blip the throttle to about 1500 rpm it goes away, but will come back again at some point. Funny thing is, i replaced the thermostat and coolant shortly after I got the car (Both Genuine BMW parts) and this noise went away for a while.

Next thing is the wheels and brakes. I have had to replace both front calipers as they were shot. However, neither front wheel spins completely freely, they both have a tiny amount of resistance....does anyone else have this trait or is it just me? There is also a groan when in reverse which sound like its coming from the front wheel(s).

I have had her sent to my local BMW dealer to have any codes read and NOTHING came up ?????? So I'm still at square one as to what i should replace to get her running sweet again. Any and all help would be much appreciated.....

O, one final thing, when driving, if I come off the throttle the speed at which the car decelerates is unnerving. However, if I put her in Neutral (shes a manual) and let her coast, she doesnt seem to slow down any where near as quick, almost as if the engine braking is OTT.

Once again thanks for reading and for any help you can offer.
1986_dan is offline   Reply With Quote