View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Caliburnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Hatchback View Post
Caliburnes, you are suffering from a very weak and unhealthy spark due to the oil on your plugs. I would imagine you have weak throttle that chokes out up top as well? Oil on the plugs = rougher idle (even for 4 cylinder), poor MPG, unburned fuel, and poor acceleration. When replacing the VC gasket, I would always get new plugs, coils, and clean out the throttle body (of oil), and make sure your vacuum is in order (smoke test).

As for your dip in idle/voltage. The easy guess is a weak ground that probably needs to be cleaned. It's not abnormal for a 15 year old car unless it's really severe
That's just a start.
Ok well I thought the low MPG may have been connected to the fouled plugs. Upon more searching it is common for VC gasket to leak I just didn't realize it had such an effect with proper burn. It must leak bad once it does. I don't have a choking throttle just poor acceleration a slight rough idle to but mostly fixed that with a new ccvv. I have checked my vacuum as well and it seems good to me. That was the first thing I checked for rough idle.

I have new plugs and when you say coils I havn't looked to see where the plug wires go but do you mean the coil or the plug wires?

Well the battery ground looks good to me but the battery is a cheap-o walmart brand. not my choice previous owner put it in it could be that as well. But it is a big noticable drop in rpm while idling and ac compressor kicks on. I guess at most 100 RPM it seems to noticable even for a 15 year old car to me. Are alternators common on these to go? Or are crap batteries a problem for them? Some of the other cars I work on have trouble with cheap batteries not being able to handle proper voltage under load.

Thanks for the repl to by the way. I am really enjoying the ease of repair on this car. And it's fun to work on.
Caliburnes is offline   Reply With Quote