View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
BMW_Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliburnes View Post
Ok so I have new spark plugs to install but upon inspection I see there is oil on the plug wires. Now I realize this iprobably a leaking valve cover gasket? Or would there be some other cause for that? And it's probably recommended to replace cover gasket so as not to ruin new plugs right?

The next thing is under any amount other than normal electrical load my TI idles low as if losing power. I mean when the Ac compressor kicks on or when I send a window up and it hits the top. I am thinking the alternator is going out and not able to keep up with electrical demands? Again am I right or could there be something else?

The last thing is I am not getting very good gas mileage. For the last month I averaged about 15 to 17. I really only drove from work to home and the store so not a whole lot of time to warm all the way up some times but still I expected better. Could this be due to fouled plugs and needing a fuel and air filter? Also probably a JB engine clean if anyone else uses JB products or a tune up kit applied by vacuum to clean and burn crap out of the engine. Do oil changes affect engine performance on these cars since I will be doing one tomorrow? I only ask because my old car you could feel the difference when it was time for an oil change.
Caliburnes, you are suffering from a very weak and unhealthy spark due to the oil on your plugs. I would imagine you have weak throttle that chokes out up top as well? Oil on the plugs = rougher idle (even for 4 cylinder), poor MPG, unburned fuel, and poor acceleration. When replacing the VC gasket, I would always get new plugs, coils, and clean out the throttle body (of oil), and make sure your vacuum is in order (smoke test).

As for your dip in idle/voltage. The easy guess is a weak ground that probably needs to be cleaned. It's not abnormal for a 15 year old car unless it's really severe
That's just a start.
BMW_Hatchback is offline   Reply With Quote