View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
robcarync

as a general rule of thumb...don't ever go to a dealer :P

Not sure if the wheel shaking is because of a power steering fluid leak though. Mine was leaking power steering fluid, and you knew it because it would make a loud whining/squealing sound when you turned the wheel either way. My leak, I thought it was from the rack and pinion, but upon further investigation, it was from the rubber hose that goes up to the power steering fluid reservoir. It looked like the fluid was coming from the rack and pinion, but it was really the fluid leaking at the reservoir, dripping down the hose, and getting all over the rack.

Now you said it is leaking from a nipple on the rack...is it a nipple at a junction where a hose connects to it? I don't recall which nipple it is, but if it is a little nipple thats leaking, I'd hate to replace the entire rack for that.

You can also try Lucas power steering stop leak...it is essentially a very viscous power steering fluid...generally thick enough that it won't leak out of loose seals and rings or gaskets. Works wonders on my Nissan Xterra...steering gear replacement is 2k at the dealer! Not a "proper fix" but for a cost benefit analysis...tough to beat it with no real harmful effects.

So as of right now, I would not replace the rack yet...but keep an eye on it
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote