View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 01:41 AM   #96
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDanHef View Post
I don't think you would want to run the same setup in front and rear ... brake bias and all. If you can only run 300mm in front because of 15" wheels then I would run something smaller in the rear.
Well honestly the idea is just theoretical because we have had people asking about largest brakes possible with 15" for rally ? ? ? Not sure. So it could helpful to someone.

As for the brake bias, I don't see too much of a problem. Clamping force creates the brake bias and that comes from the calipers, while rotors are more for cooling. As long as the pad has complete contact at all parts to the rotor the size increase is only beneficial for cooling purposes, otherwise it is just more unsprung weight. Please correct me if I am completely wrong!

We also see minimal change in rotor diameter from other models:
z3m/e36 m3 = Front 315mm - Rear 312mm
e46 330ci = Front 325mm - Rear 320mm

Just two random examples off the top of my head. I think the smaller rear is just because the cooling isn't needed, not that it is detrimental. The front will most likely do more work and needs to be cooled more - thus the bigger rotor and being vented etc vs rear rotors which happen to smaller.

At least for this application. Again - I am just going off head knowledge as I don't race, have race experience etc, so feel free to correct me!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Good links with more rear brake upgrade information:

Bluebimma Mercedes rear calipers

Post #21, use of z4 parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95///M3 View Post
Bought the 300mm 128 adapters.

Used Z4 3.0si rear calipers and brackets. 128 300mm rotors did NOT fit for me. Ended up using smaller Z4 rotors.
^^ That is post #21: 95///M3 used z4 3.0si rear caliper/bracket and z4 rotor - did not specify rotor, but also used the SRS adapter.

Why is this interesting, that means that with that adapter almost the entire z4 rear brake system bolted on= if there is aftermarket support for larger discs, or calipers or other parts that bolt on to the z4 3.0si then with the adapter in turn it should maybe also bolt onto the 318ti. Possible?

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

Last edited by anassa; 10-18-2017 at 01:53 AM.
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote