View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #64
andakn

Disclaimer : i haven't used or seen in person the GKD kit. What I'm going on is my work with the mini Coopers that use that m45 supercharger. Its a smaller supercharger and uses a smaller pulley than the dasc kit. If you windup having a belt stretch or a tensioner start to fail this will allow the supercharger to slip on the Belt. This causes boost surge, especially at higher RPMs. This plays havoc with the computer, because when the belt slips boost drops and the computer tries to lean out the mixture, then when the belt re-grips, boost spikes faster than the computer can compensate. This makes a lean condition underboost which is a killer of exhaust valves. Especially when the Mini Cooper guys run the smaller pulleys to a boost. I've had to replace about 10 cylinder heads in two years on modified Mini Coopers. Now running this supercharger on a larger engine it will not create as much boost so this condition may not apply but I even have slippage problems on my other TI that runs the 15 pound pulley on a Downing Atlanta kit. Mine only fluctuates a few pounds when it does it. But with minis having a smaller pulley to start with when they slip they seem to drop about 1/2 if the boost. Hope this helps under stand my point of veiw on this setup. I also wonder what is the max boost that can be achieved by this kit and weather it can maintain that boost throughout the RPMs
andakn is offline   Reply With Quote