View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 03:12 AM   #22
anassa

Vehicles

Complications!!

One day car down twice!!

Problem:
In the morning after a long night of rain I started the car, but it seemed to be misfiring for some reason. I needed to get to class so I drove a little more but it was fumbling all over the place. I didn't trust it and was worried so I brought it to the shop missing class.

Solution:
Apparently if the beauty cover (valve cover) is not over on the car and the ignition coils are exposed, with a lot of rainfall some might drip down into the plugs! Cylinder 6's spark plug was flooded. Once dried up it ran great again.

Problem:
Once at school at noon to try to get some papers/reading done I had to move onto work. Jumped into the car and pulled out of the parking lot, when all of a sudden there was snap and slapping sounds. I saw something had fallen out so I pulled over. My belts had snapped!!

Solution:
Seems like my power steering pulley had a piece that chipped off (old plastic!!) and took the belt with it! Once replaced it was fine... but there goes a day of work!

First Canyon Cruise

So much better! When I took it for a drive, having power in the mid range that is more then peak m44 power is great! It seems like my complaints are dying down as I get used to it and get to really feel the difference in power. I had also installed the z3 steering rack at the same time so getting my nose in a corner, despite the weight, so really great as it makes maneuvering the rear so much easier.

One part of the swap I did not expect at all but is a very nice side effect is that engine braking is also greatly improved. I am not sure if someone can explain it to me, but now on a spirited cruise just getting off the pedal slows down the car a good amount more then the m44 did, especially at higher rpm's, letting me not even need to use the brakes for many corners. Then having that midrange torque and power that can propel the 318ti out of the corner is really great.

All this without having a proper tire/rim, brake and suspension setup. I really look forward to how it will be like when I get it more balanced.

Swap regret is slowly fading away.

Decided to throw on the m3 rep bumper from the donor car, and black nose grill from the donor car, so its looking a little better too.

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

Last edited by anassa; 03-23-2017 at 05:33 AM.
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote