View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
Magnanimous

Default Found what appears to be a good deal on craigslist, could use some insight.

So I found a 1997 318ti posted on a nearby craigslist site for $1000 OBO. It has 200k miles, and the owner said he replaced the water pump, starter, clutch and engine mounts within the last year, but the car currently needs a new battery and transmission mount.

Link: http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/cto/5266999833.html

The exterior appears to be in decent shape at least, aside from a small front-end dent, and some... interesting aftermarket tail lights that I can't seem to find anywhere else.

I'm a bit suspicious that he'd replace all of those parts without also going for the battery and transmission mounts. The price seems to be right along with what KBB's recommended $900-$100 range though.

I'm thinking of picking it up as a fun to drive beater for when I need more storage, passenger capacity, or rain protection than can be offered by my motorcycles.

I have a decent amount of mechanical experience working on my motorcycles and some small marine OB engines, though I've never done much more than replacing fluids and batteries on cars before.

Does this car raise any red flags for anyone? Does the price seem appropriate?

I'd like to try to check it out this weekend, what should I keep my eyes out for?
Magnanimous is offline   Reply With Quote