View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
TroyAndEddie

Default FIX: Loose California Roof w/Pics

So you have a California Roof and you find it's a little loose; maybe some gaps on the sides. You're frustrated with the potential of leaks and unsightliness.

Well, do I have the fix for you!

It just so happens that a 40mph crosswind ripped the back end of my top off while driving. It prompted me find out why that happened, and replace what was missing/broken back there.

Photo #1 shows the rear of the roof off after the wind pulled it.

Photo #2 shows how the roof is connected to the roof frame: by three star (inverted torx) bolts. That's where I found my problem. The nuts that hold the roof to the frame were not there. That allowed the wind to lift the back of it off, and it also explained why my roof did not stay tight along the sides.

Photo #3 shows the torx screws (size T-20) that holds the belts in place. These belts tighten down the roof when it's closed and keep in flat. You'll need to loosen these bolts to do adjustments.

Photo#4 shows the rear of the roof reinstalled and the hole the star bolts go through.

(cont.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	photo 1.jpg Views:	709 Size:	34.9 KB ID:	10753   Click image for larger version Name:	photo 2.jpg Views:	712 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	10754   Click image for larger version Name:	photo 7.jpg Views:	709 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	10757  

Click image for larger version Name:	photo 6.jpg Views:	684 Size:	51.6 KB ID:	10758  

Last edited by TroyAndEddie; 12-16-2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: additions
TroyAndEddie is offline   Reply With Quote