View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 03:57 AM   #25
paul somlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96318ticali View Post
This photo shows the water pump installed with the lower timing cover removed. Based on this photo, is it accurate to infer that the lower timing chain cover CAN be removed without removing the water pump?

http://www.318ti.org/forum/attachmen...5&d=1471705897
I've been told so, although I wasn't able to. I think I may have had some casting flash on the pump that was hanging up the cover. There may be slight differences in how the castings come out of the mold, I suppose it's also possible that there was a slight change in the casting at some point. At any rate, I think it's a very close fit between the pump and cover.

I went through the paces early this summer of trying to fix my oil leaks (for the 2nd or 3rd time). Took the transmission off, replaced the rear seal, put the seal carrier back in with RTV and deleted the factory gasket. Removed both timing covers, deleted the factory gasket, sealed it very well with RTV. Still getting leaking where the trans and engine meet and still have a leak at the timing cover interface - I'm thinking where the two covers and profile gasket converge. A drop every few days, but still annoying. I give up, I'll just drive it, tired of chasing the oil leaks. I might try changing the oil pan gasket next oil change, but not optimistic. It's funny - that saying, "you know your BMW's low on fluids when it stops leaking", that rings true. Because of the way the oil pan is canted side to side, when I'm down a quart or so, no more leaking from the back of the engine.
paul somlo is offline   Reply With Quote