View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
MacUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
leaning in from the boot (hatch) is def the easiest way to open and close em!!
ARE YOU CRAZY?!?! By far the easiest way to do it is to throw two kids in the backseat! And if you do the Chevy 5.7L swap, you won't even need to relocate the battery!

Awesome plan! Do thorough documentation and take lots of photos.

I added the (all-mechanical) fuel door release lever to my Honda Element. What a PITA! To make it look stock, I changed both the driver and passenger kick panels, removed the old hood release and installed the new one on the right, ran a cable from the right front to the left rear, drilled a hole for said cable inside the fuel door, and replaced both the fuel door and its hinge. My job was made easier by the fact that there were actually Elements that came with the remote fuel door release, but it was complicated by the fact that all those Elements were in Japan! I had to look through a poorly-scanned technical manual page, all in Japanese, and try to figure out what parts I'd need. Since the Element is made in the U.S., all of these parts came from U.S. plants ... I essentially paid to have the parts shipped from the U.S. to Japan, then back to the U.S.. Hundreds of dollars later, I have the only known U.S. model Element with an all-stock remote door release. And until someone dumber than me comes along, it'll remain that way. If I'm traveling and take it into a dealership that's never serviced it before, I always have to show them where the hood release is. No one expects it on the right!
MacUser is offline   Reply With Quote