View Single Post
Old 09-05-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
ZeroG
I miss my Ti....... :(

Default Ported and Polished ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPerformance
Does anyone have their cylinder head ported and polished? I am looking into aquiring a spare cylinder head to have ported and polished.

I have aquired several cam specs so I am going to talk to the local machine shop to see if my cams can be re-ground and which of my specs will work best.

I am hoping to pick up a complete spare cylinder head for around $250 so I can start this project. That way I can have the cams ground and the head all done so I can still drive the car.

Does anyone know what the stock BMW cams are made of? I am hoping that they are ground from a solid piece of metal and not the Press on type lobes.

As for the porting and polishing goes, I am going to probably gasket match and then have some of the combustion chamber also ported, but just mildly. I am going to try to have a guy that I know port the intake and exhaust ports with a CNC mill by programming in the gasket as the template and then hand polish everything.

The only thing that I am concerned about is proper tuning after everything is done. Hopefully I can adjust everything without having to have the computer reprogrammed. I am hoping that I can use a AFPR to get the air fuel ratio in tune and the that computer doesn't flip out.

I was looking into getting an exhaust and intake and maybe a shark injector, but that was going to cost me about $800+ where I figure I can do this for around the same price and produce better gains.
I have my M42 cylinder head ported and polished. I also have some pretty wicked cams. 272 dur. 10.5 lift and I am still using a hydrolic lifter. The cam fit but man was it tight. As for AFR's after you have all this work done. To be honest big injectors and a custom chip is the best way to go if you don't want Stand Alone. I spend a fortune rigging it, and finally got a pretty good running car. I use a AFPR and a split second Mass Conversion with the ARC II to control Duty cycle. The idle is OK, not as good as I would like, but I can live with it. My car is also FI so maybe my requirements are a little different. It took me a week to tuning everything and make it running money. I can get about 11.0 WOT.

-Chad