View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
lpcapital

So I thought about it a bit longer and came to the conclusion that before going ahead, I need to make sure I actually need a oil cooler... eheheh...

There are some adapters out there but one way or the other, it looks like they take the oil before the filter, force it through the cooler and return it after the filter. If that's the case, I really don't like this design as it feeds the engine with unfiltered oil. Moreover I was reading most cars with oil cooler have some kind of dry or semi-dry sump and uses the scavenger pump to push oil through the cooler.

The conclusion I came to so far is that the optimum design would require adding an electric scavenger pump that picks up the oil in the sump, circulate it through the cooler and return it in the sump. This way the oil pressure getting to the engine is not affected. I think a thermostat after the pump would be a good idea, so oil goes back to the sump when cold and reduces warm-up time. Most thermostats have a 10% cold flow through to allow the cooler to get up to temperature and reduces risks of temperature shocks. Also a solenoid would probably be required to avoid the oil to drain from the radiator when the engine is off...

EDIT: it looks like the S54 circulate the oil through the cooler before sending it to the filter and has a thermostat to bypass the cooler when the oil is cold.

2003 Z4 2.5i
2002 Ducati Monster S4
lpcapital is offline   Reply With Quote