View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #1
osu_ti

Default New 318ti Owner from Midwest

After being in an accident and consequently selling with my beloved 92 camaro, I decided to look for something different. I still wanted a manual trans and rwd so I started looking at bmw's. That's when I found the 318ti.

I started looking for one a couple weeks ago and finally stumbled on to a pair of local ones that I took a look at over the weekend. Both were 96 vintage with ~120k on the clock. One was immaculate inside with a bit of rust where the jack points are on the frame. The other was a bit rough on the inside (crack rearview mirror, dirty, not-so-nice aftermarket cd player, dog hair in the trunk, fo-fiber shift knob, etc.) but had an undercarriage that was rust free and in good shape (I was able to see it on a lift). I opted for the latter and paid $3200 (he was asking 3800).

It was originally a Hawaii car. When it was really low mileage it went to Virginia then later Maryland/DC and finally came to Ohio about a month ago.

I'm fairly new to the bmw scene. I have a bunch of experience working and modifying GM products and engine (classics sbc's to the ecotec stuff).

My plan for the car is for it to be a daily driver and autocross car. It is the base model and definitely needs the sport model springs and sways along with new shocks and a better shifter. I'm planning to put a set of snow tires on the stock rims and buy a set of 16's or 17's with some grippy summer tires. Probably the first major work I will do is replace all of the coolant parts that are prone to break (water pump, 2 plastic hose connections, others?). I'll also do the usual like change all the fluids and give it a good cleaning/waxing/polishing. Once I make a few more posts on here I'll throw up some pics

I still need to do a bunch of research on here and b.f. to decide on what wheels and how wide of tires I want to run.

What do you guys think of the plans? Is there anything you suggest I do before I start driving the car regularly (in 3 weeks)?

Thanks for everyone's input to this site. It was very helpful in my purchase decision. Hopefully I'll be able to provide some input as well.
osu_ti is offline   Reply With Quote