View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullmand View Post
Yeah, besides BS comments in the general automotive press, I'm not sure where this idea that the ti rear suspension design is inferior came from. Nobody seems to mind it on the E30 M3 and the guys running SpecE30 don't seem to have much trouble hustling around a track. It does have a couple interesting characteristics that it will exhibit under track driving conditions, but nothing to be worried about once you know what it's going to do. Personally, like most everything else on the ti, I think the fact that it's simpler makes it superior to the other E36s. My question to folks that get worked up about this would be what exactly is it that you're trying to do that this "antiquated" suspension is keeping you from doing.
It's just kids being kids and believing what their friends are telling them. Heck, half of the kids on bf.c never seen a ti in person and don't even know the difference between multi-link and semi-trailing arm suspension. They just heard someone talking about it before and think their cars are the shiz because they sport a bike rack with a fixie and pink wheels with a ziptied lip and a stuffed animal hanging off their bumper Sorry, for the rant. I guess I'm just old school, I still wear boy jeans

OP, what is it about the regular e36's "geometry" that makes it so much "better"? And if you're going to say "better handling" then I'll beg to differ.

BTW, as far as contact patch and tire wear goes, if your car is lowered and you only drive on the street, sure your rear tires will wear faster on the inside due to negative camber. However, if you track your car, the negative camber actually increases grip in the corners and the tires will wear evenly. I have a couple friends that regularly track their Mcoupes. Sitting on level pavement they have ridiculous negative camber, but after a few runs you could look at the rear tires and the wear marks are perfectly even. I bought a set of track wheels that were used on an M coupe with extreme negative camber. They had shaved Toyo RA1's mounted that were worn down to the indicators. I used them for one session and the belts started to show across THE ENTIRE contact patch. My point is, if you drive your car hard enough, the tires will wear evenly. If you only drive it on the street, expect to rotate your tires often.

Last edited by cooljess76; 01-07-2011 at 10:25 PM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote