View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #15
J!m

Vehicles

For the list in general, the Euro oil filter housing is an item that bolts directly to the side of any M50 or S50 motor. The euro version includes a built in thermostat that controls oil flow out to an oil cooler that sits below the radiator. It has facility to mount the factory oil cooler underneath it.

>This sounds like the right part, but if I'm not mistaken the filter housing is replaced with a ported/thermostatically controlled part that retains the stock filter etc.

I can not yet inspect the condition of the oil coolers and lines that are coming. Often they are damaged or not included.

>I would replace all the lines anyway, as the age, temperature, shipping damage are all outside my control. (cheap insurance)

For people that want a stock look, you could use Euro or S54 oil lines and filter housing easily.

>Perhaps this is what was used on the LTW?? Do you have part numbers for this set-up?

If you want a more interesting look, it is not difficult to source adaptors for this that do bolt right on, or you can tap the oil filter housing for standard AN lines and run an aftermarket oil cooler in the front of the car.

>I won't run aftermarket for my car, but had investigated this possibility...

Tony Salloum at VAC sells a M50/S50 oil cover/plate with multiple in and out connections to take the place of this oil filter housing, but you lose the factory oil filter, as well as the thermostat. This housing is a very, very nice part, and adds some flexibility.

>Perfect for a race car, but I sometimes go to the dealer for an oil change / code read and they are scared enough of the car...

In my particular application, I had a local machine shop weld on "bungs" to use AN adaptors for my drysump system. I bypassed the thermostat since I do not drive the car in the winter, and I'm not afraid of overcooling the oil. There are multiple ports machined into the factory setup that aid in a project like that.

>Again, perfect for race use. Mine is a year-round (weather permitting) daily driver. When I'm in CT, it is parked all winter because all the salt is removed from the Atlantic ocean to place on the roads...

When I sell a euro 3.2 oilpan, it would have the pump, the pick-ups, and most if not all the hardware you need to install it, short of an oilpan gasket.

>Perfect. That's what I needed to know. Price shipped?

These dual pick up oilpans would fit any S50 or M50 engine that is in any E36 chassis. You would probably need to swap to an E36 US spec M3 front swaybar however.

>I have the complete M3 front suspension installed, so the sway bar is already there.

I will have a six speed available for sale, but not the DS.

>The drive shaft is required, as the length is different. It won't work in a ti or a regular E36 sedan or coupe. You may want to press harder for the drive shaft, or at least get a good part number so it can be purchased new. Also interested in price shipped on this.

Thanks for the info, and I look forward to your e-mail.

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote