View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
Alex Lipowich

Hello Jim, I will reply in private as well.

For the list in general, the Euro oil filter housing is an item that bolts directly to the side of any M50 or S50 motor. The euro version includes a built in thermostat that controls oil flow out to an oil cooler that sits below the radiator. The euro radiator is thicker, and cools better of course. It has facility to mount the factory oil cooler underneath it.

I can not yet inspect the condition of the oil coolers and lines that are coming. Often they are damaged or not included. To be honest, when I sell a euro engine, I will be including the oil filter housing most likely along with oil lines and cooler if available.

For people that want a stock look, you could use Euro or S54 oil lines and filter housing easily. If you want a more interesting look, it is not difficult to source adaptors for this that do bolt right on, or you can tap the oil filter housing for standard AN lines and run an aftermarket oil cooler in the front of the car.

Tony Salloum at VAC sells a M50/S50 oil cover/plate with multiple in and out connections to take the place of this oil filter housing, but you lose the factory oil filter, as well as the thermostat. This housing is a very, very nice part, and adds some flexibility.

In my particular application, I had a local machine shop weld on "bungs" to use AN adaptors for my drysump system. I bypassed the thermostat since I do not drive the car in the winter, and I'm not afraid of overcooling the oil. There are multiple ports machined into the factory setup that aid in a project like that.

When I sell a euro 3.2 oilpan, it would have the pump, the pick-ups, and most if not all the hardware you need to install it, short of an oilpan gasket. I could include that too as I get a decent discount at the dealership. These dual pick up oilpans would fit any S50 or M50 engine that is in any E36 chassis. You would probably need to swap to an E36 US spec M3 front swaybar however. Almost identical, and not hard to find. The TI bar doesn't drop as much since it doesn't have to clear an oil pan the same way on the M44 or M42 engine.

I will have a six speed available for sale, but not the DS.

Alex Lipowich
Alex Lipowich is offline   Reply With Quote