View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #15
dashate

You really need to map out where you want to go with this vehicle. As you've seen from the responses, you have a few choices and all cost money. Once you decide on an upgrade program, stick with it..if you change direction, you will have spent a bundle of money for nothing. I decided long ago to not opt for the engine swap. It is far to costly, as you need to replace far more stuff than just the engine. A shop here in Tampa has done several and with parts and labor you'll be lucky to drive away for under $12,500...unless you're extremely handy and can do a lot of the work yourself. I've also talked with a recommended "Roundel" shop in Texas who have installed 7 - 8 Downing supercharger kits. It's affordable at about $4000 installed but NONE have dyno'd above 176HP...well below the claimed 50% increase.

I have opted for Dinan induction upgrades, new cams, PSS suspension, exhaust, lightweight flywheel and a few other goodies and my '98 ti will out turn a stock e36 M3 on the track. I get caught on the straights but catch them again in the turns. You take your fun where you can get it.

Eventually, I'll probably opt for an M44 engine rebuild by Korrman or Metric Mechanic. A little over 200HP for a price midway between the supercharger and engine change.

If I owned your car, I would probably get rid of the auto transmission first.
dashate is offline   Reply With Quote