View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #192
bazar01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy1Strat View Post
All

I did not have to remove the moonroof assembly (just the metal panel) or headliner to remove the fabric shuttle. After looking at several write-ups and photos here's how I did it.

1. Press the moonroof "back button" to move the sunroof by an 1/8th of an inch, this releases the fabric shuttle from the actual metal roof panel. You will have to move it front and back to find the "sweet" spot. You should be able to move the fabric shuttle easily. IF NOT then you haven't found the sweet spot.

(Optional, Remove the fabric covered trim "welt" the surrounds the opening)

2. Push the fabric shuttle far enough back into the roof to expose three 17mm nuts holding the metal sunroof panel in place. These are on the black metal assembly that lifts the moonroof at the rear when it's in the "vent" position. Unbolt those.

3. Unscrew the T20 screws along the front edge of the sunroof on each side....and push back the pin. The pin is cast part of the cadmium plated front pivot arm that the T20 screws thread into. They detent onto the angle bracket on the metal moonroof about 1 inch in front of the T20 torx screws (they are tricky to get at). This free's the moonroof from the car. lift it out carefully. I put towels on the roof to keep from accidentally scratching anything.

4. From the top, slide the fabric shuttle back forward to expose all 10 (5 on each side) of the T20 screws along the guide rails that hold the sides of the fabric shuttle. Remove those and remove the fabric shuttle from the top.

Assembly is the reverse procedure.

Notes:

Getting the front pivot cadmium plated arms to locate / detent back into the moonroof was a bit of a pain. It took a flat head screw driver and a lot of patience but I was able to get it. The trick is to locate and get one side partially screwed in but not tight. Then you can still move the moonroof to get the other side in. Small fingers help.

There is no need to remove the entire moonroof cassette assembly to recover your headliner. If you do the procedure above you won't need to re-adjust the roof to get a good seal. It should mount exactly the same as it came out.

A side note, I had to use denatured alcohol, a razor scraper, blue shop paper towels, and a lot of patience to remove all the adhesive from the factory headliner fabric on the shuttle. Took about 3 hrs for everything including putting the new tweed on the fabric shuttle and getting it back in. I only did the fabric shuttle today.

I did the fabric shuttle first because I didn't have enough time to complete the whole job this weekend. Next weekend I will complete the entire headliner. I am re-covering them in a silver "heather gray" style tweed. It looks very nice. I will re-cover all the pillars, not just the front A pillars. It should look great. I will post photos when I get it all completed.

~M Rench~
Trying to remove the moonroof and fabric shuttle with no luck. I cannot seem to find the sweet spot.
My fabric shuttle peeled off and I need to clean all the adhesive and re-upholster it.
Is the moonroof supposed to be opened only about 1/8" from the front to get the sweet spot?
Thanks.
2018 Suburban Z71
bazar01 is offline   Reply With Quote