View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 03:21 AM   #103
AFDanHef

You're not trying to stop just the rotor ... you're trying to stop the car. If you wanted to move the car by turning the wheels/tires by hand ... would you push/pull from the outer wheel/tire area or the inside of the wheel near the hub? Same applies with getting it to stop. Maybe that's not the easiest to understand example.

Google bro!! Here's some science:

1. Increase disc radius
Larger discs will allow for more brake torque as the brake pad will apply pressure at a larger radius, allowing for a higher moment. Brake torque is equal to the force applied by the pad multiplied by the distance at which the force is applied from the center of the wheel. In this case, we’re increasing the distance from the centre. This is a good thing.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/eng...g-performance/

It was surprisingly hard to find something that explained this well actually. I wanted to find a nice handy dandy YouTube video but couldn't find sh1t.

Also, the 128i uses 300x24 in front and 300x20 in rear. 4mm thickness difference ... and probably pads and calipers are smaller. They would never use the exact same setup in the front as they would in the rear ... unless they were using some electric wizardry to control the bias ... and then what would be the point!?

I think this is about as good as I can do bro .. lol if you've still got questions then Google is fantastic!!

Last edited by AFDanHef; 10-18-2017 at 03:26 AM.
AFDanHef is offline   Reply With Quote