View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
hotmilk400

you are WAY WAY to worried about this. and you are putting WAY to much thought into it.

from what i understand, you do not understand how the clutch works, hence why u are even asking about it. which is okay, so my goal will be to give u a basic idea of what you are doing when you push the clutch in.

basicly, the way cars are designed, is your motor powers the wheels to go (yeah, real basic)

when you press in the clutch, it opens that connection, so your motor is freely spinning separate from the wheels (the same thing if your car is in neutral).

thats the ONLY thing your clutch does, it is not some magical pedal, and has nothing to do with what you are doing with the brake pedal.

you shift when you press in the clutch, because it stops the spinning on the motor side, so the gears can go into the correct spot without grinding the gears together to do it (since your motor spins at a different speed as the tires, when you shift, you are basically trying to fit together a gear spinning at 1000RPMS with a gear spinning 4000RPMS, hence you are grinding gears. when you press in the clutch, you are matching up a gear that moves freely, with a spinning gear, so it just pairs up easy. )

think of the clutch as neutral. when ever you press it in, you are moving freely. so if you are in 5th gear, and you press in the clutch, you are in neutral. you can hit the brakes, or just release the clutch, it does not matter.

you can also shifty freely. if you are in 5th gear, doing 50mph, and you want to pass someone, you can shift into 3rd (if you want to really pass them quickly) or 4th gear. it does not hurt your car (as long as you do not try to go into like 2nd gear, since your motor will be forced to spin faster then what it wants to, but your transmission will block it from doing that)

driving a stick shift is like a game. try to keep your RPMS between 1k and 6k. if you go to low, you stall, if you go to high, you destroy your motor and waste gas. anything inbetween is perfecly okay. you can drive at 5k RPMS all day intill you are blue in the face, or you can drive at 1.5k RPMS . it doesnt matter.

the lower the RMPS, the better gas millage you get, but slower for your car if you want to accelerate faster. the higher the RPMS, the faster your car is, but the worse on gas.

--

you are panicking way to much, and giving it way to much thought. just have someone take you to a large parking lot, and practice driving. you are not going to wreck the car if u stall it or shift poorly. i tought like 4 of my friends to drive it, and they knew nothing about it. its trail and error.

the only thing you have to get use to is were the clutch leave out and where the clutch goes in. no one told me that when i learned and it took me awhile to figure it out. you can actually feel it (maybe not at first) their is a spot in the clutch were it is releases and connects. anything before or after that means nothing. you want to find that magical spot, or your car will be bouncing all around the parking lot (or stalling) and you will get mad quick.

once u find that spot, that is how you pull out (thats the only important thing)

when you pull out, u are keeping the pedal in that magical spot, and you are putting your foot on the gas (just alittle) . to much gas, and your RPMS go real high. to little gas, and you dont move or stall. if you release the clutch to fast, and have to much gas, you will either bounce your car around, or peel rubber the entire parking to (haha) if you release the clutch to slow, you are wearing out your clutch, and you wont move as fast. (but do not worry, they last a long time)

it probably takes 20 minutes of working with it to get a basic understanding of pulling out, and like 2 hours to get good feeling for the clutch. after a few days, you probably will still be a little scared of messing up, after like 1 month, you wont even think about it when you are shifting. you become apart of the car. i basically fall asleep on my 40 minute drive home every day, and i shift the whole way home (and do not remember anything.. haha)

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!

Last edited by hotmilk400; 09-06-2010 at 09:37 PM.
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote